Facts & Product details
Did you know?
- Each time one tonne of cullet is recycled in a glass furnace, about 580kg CO2 is saved throughout the supply chain?
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled time and time again?
- Over a ton of virgin raw materials are saved for every ton of recycled glass?
- Producing glass from recycled glass reduces air pollution by 20% and water pollution by 50%?
- Glass never leaches toxic chemicals into its contents?
- Recycled glass packaging can be recycled into a new container in as little as one month?
- 73% of all glass bottles in Europe are collected and recycled?
- 87% of Europeans prefer glass?
- More than 50% of glass bottles are delivered to customers within a 300km distance?
- Every year 125,000 jobs are maintained across Europe by the glass industry?
- The European Glass Industry contributes €9.5 billion to the EU annual GDP?
- Glass is flavourless and odourless and doesn’t alter the taste of food and drinks?
- Consumers consider taste preservation as a key reason to choose glass?
- Glass protects the taste and quality of food and beverage products?
- Glass can reduce food waste by protecting its content and extending its shelf life?
- Glass represents a 100% safe, ideal food packaging material with respect to consumers’ health and food safety?
- Related Publications
Recycling: Why glass always has a happy CO2 ending.
Environmental, social and economic contribution of the Container Glass sector in Europe
- Related Industry Positions
From target policy to Circular Economy
- External Links
Glass Health PR Survey
Survey that explores consumer attitudes related to packaging and food and drink safety
Friends of Glass
Friends of Glass is a movement made up of people who believe that glass is the best material.
on food packaging materials and their potential impact on human health